July 26 Movement has been, since it’s inception in Cleveland, OH during the spring of 2000, an experimental project which combines free-form improvisation and minimalist composition with the raw energy of early punk rock. The only constant member for the first 10 years was visual artist/composer Steven Lichti who, working from the assumption: ‘if it makes a sound it is an instrument and can be played as such’, assembled collaborators to construct, perform and record musical pieces that can vary from sublimely textured sound-scapes to organically structured post-rock.
In the summer of 2011 Brad Giresi and Jeff Thomson joined Steven in what has become an enigmatic and creative partnership and solid three-piece lineup, consisting primarily of drums, bass, and guitars.
Collaborators 2000 – 2010:
- Mike Uva – guitar, bass, drums
- Jason Weiner – drums, guitar
- Todd Hutchinson – water faucet, voice, Rhodes piano, guitar, random percussion
- Jason Engles – drums, random percussion, concertina, vibraphone, guitar
- Matt Carpenteri – bass, guitar, house keys, harmonica, radio
- Brian Carpenteri – drums, guitar, trumpet, bass, beer bottle, piano